LONG-TERM SOLUTIONS TO CRUMBLING INFRASTRUCTURE
We design and build cars. Great cars. We’re the home of the American automotive industry. But you wouldn’t know it driving on our roads. Our infrastructure is, quite literally, crumbling below our feet. It’s time to stop paying for band-aids and start forwarding real, long-term solutions to our roads, bridges, tunnels, and pipes.
WHERE WE ARE NOW
- Michigan’s roads earned a D- grade on the 2017 Infrastructure Report Card from the American Society of Civil Engineers, citing only 18% of roads rated in “good” condition.
WHAT WE CAN DO
- Promote real, long-term infrastructure solutions in concert with a public transportation plan to attract companies to invest in Southeast Michigan while taking wear-and-tear off of the roads
- Work with our universities and learn from other states who have developed higher-quality mixes and materials designed to withstand our winter weather conditions and freeze-thaw cycles
- Create stronger warranties on road work and ensure they’re enforced when work isn’t completed properly
- Streamline communication to ensure construction projects occur simultaneously, such as replacing sewer systems, water, or laying broadband lines, to promote budget efficiencies to save taxpayers money
- Reverse the shift in tax burden from corporations to residents that’s occurred over the past 8 years under Governor Snyder to ensure companies pay their fair share to support the infrastructure they use